Fly Fishing Knots: Huffnagle Knot Video
The Huffnagle Knot is used for adding a very heavy shock leader to a class tippet.
See detailed instructions below the video:
How to Tie the Huffnagle Knot
2. Pass the loop of the class tippet (which should already have a Bimini twist in it) through both loops of the figure 8 in the shock tippet. The coils of the Bimini Twist should not go through the figure 8. The class tippet should enter and exit the figure 8 on the same side as the shock tippet.
3. Tighten the knot in the shock tippet.
4. Make an overhand knot with the class tippet around the shock tippet and tighten. Make another overhand knot and tighten again.
5. With the class tippet, make another overhand knot around the shock tippet, this time taking five turns around the shock tippet as you work back toward the figure 8.
6. Tighten the knot by pulling on the tag end of the class tippet (the twisted loop) and the standing end of the shock tippet. Stroke the coils back toward the standing part of the shock tippet, being careful to keep the coils from wrapping over themselves. Continue tightening until the coils are snug against the rest of the knot.