Fly Fishing Knots: Slim Beauty Knot Video
The Slim Beauty Knot is used for adding a very heaving shock leader to a class tippet. It's slimmer than the Huffnagle.
How to Tie the Slim Beauty Knot
2. Pass a doubled section of class tippet through both loops of the figure-8. The doubled section should enter the loops at the short end of the shock tippet and exit the second loop toward the longer end of the shock tippet. Pull about 10 inches of the doubled tippet through the knot.
3. By wrapping the long end of the shock tippet around one hand and grabbing the short end with a pair of pliers, tighten the figure-8 until it is as tight as possible.
4. Hold open a space next to the large knot you just tightened between the class tippet and shock tippet. Wind the 10-inch section of class tippet around the shock tippet, away from this space, four times around.
5. Wind the class tippet back over itself three times toward the big figure-8 knot and insert the end of the class tippet into the space in front of the knot in the shock tippet you've been holding open.
6. Hold the standing part of the shock tippet in one hand and the standing part of the class tippet ( The part that emerges from the big figure-8 knot on the opposite side ) in the other hand. Wet the knot and pull it tight with a quick, brisk pull. Trim the tag end of the class tippet and shock tippet.