- [Tom] You can try Euro nymphing with any fly rod, but if you like the method you'll soon find out a specialized rod and line will make the process much easier. So George, you can do this with any rod line, right? -
[George] Correct, you can.
- But it's better to use something that's been developed, especially for this method. It's going to make it more efficient.
- Correct. I mean, most fly rods are designed to cast fly line. What we're doing is basically casting leader or very thin diameter fly line, so we really need just a softer tip that loads with minimal amount of mass outside the rod tip.
- Soft tip and then you have a stiffer butt to play fish and have the power.
- So yeah, you can see the way this rod flexes that it's really tippy, really soft, tippy.
- And it's going to be ultra sensitive. You will feel a lot more of your stretch with this type of rod versus a traditional action rod.
- So that's pretty much it. But you can use any longer 9 to 10-foot rod if you wanted to and it would work.